Join our zoo community
Maguari

Cat Ba Langur at EPRC Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12

[i]Trachypithecus poliocephalus poliocephalus[/i] A critically endangered species; the Vietnamese subspecies numbers only 50-60 individuals on Cat Ba island and a handful at the EPRC. The Chinese form [i]T. p. leucocephalus[/i] has a population of up to 800 individuals but is believed to be falling - there are no known captive examples.

Cat Ba Langur at EPRC Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12
Maguari, 23 Apr 2012
    • Maguari
      Trachypithecus poliocephalus poliocephalus

A critically endangered species; the Vietnamese subspecies numbers only 50-60 individuals on Cat Ba island and a handful at the EPRC. The Chinese form T. p. leucocephalus has a population of up to 800 individuals but is believed to be falling - there are no known captive examples.
    • IanRRobinson
      Thanks for posting these. What do the Vietnamese plan to do with these captive stocks in the long run?
    • Maguari
      The plan with all the species at the EPRC is basically the same - they take in rescued individuals (injured animals, confiscations etc) and keep and treat them until they are back to full health. They then try to readjust the animals to the wild in the semi-wild exhibits - if successful they are released, into Cuc Phuong National Park if they are a local species (Delacour's, Phayre's, N. White-cheeked Gibbon) or to an appropriate protected area within their range. Any animals that are over-humanised or do not adjust to the semi-wild area for any reason are kept as residents. Any young born to the residents are also trialled for release and released if possible.

As well as langurs, the centre works with gibbons and lorises and takes animals from across the whole country.

A very worthwhile place (there is another batch of photos to follow!).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Endangered Primate Rescue Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    23 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1071px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:10 03:22:36
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    195 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).