20 June 2015

Cheetah and Domestic Dog
Pleistohorse, 29 Jun 2015
    • Pleistohorse
      20 June 2015
    • Chlidonias
      what is the story behind this photo?
    • vogelcommando
      I know of several cases where cheetah-kittens were raised by domestic dogs but as far as I know, in such cases the dog and the cheetah-young were seperated always as soon as the cheetahs started the feed by themselfs.
    • zooboy28
      I know a few zoos keep cheetahs with domestic dogs. San Diego Zoo has an exhibit for hand-raised Cheetah, Domestic Dogs and Wolves.
    • Pleistohorse
      This Cheetah is an education animal and was raised with dogs. This exhibit is used for education purposes. The keepers had just completed a session, which did not include a cheetah run. The animals were left in this enclosure following the program, while their other enclosure was being serviced. Almost as soon as the keepers exited the enclosure, the cheetah took off at a sprint and the dog gave chase...never even coming close in the 50 meters or so they ran. Got the cell phone camera up just in time.
    • Arizona Docent
      @ Pleistohorse and @ Snowleopard - are they doing a scheduled cheetah run yet? If not, are there plans to do one eventually?

@ everyone else - It is common practice in the USA for trained education cheetahs to live with dogs such as golden retrievers. The reason is that the dog's calm disposition helps to calm the skittish cheetah. Exhibit cheetahs are not housed this way, but education animals (those handled before public) usually are. The only place in the USA that I know of with education cheetahs that takes them out by themselves without a dog is Cat Haven in central California.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dallas Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Pleistohorse
    Date:
    29 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: