Join our zoo community
Maguari

Chimpanzee enclosure at Basel Zoo 30/08/09

Like so many central European zoos, the monkey/ape house is the least impressive of the zoo's houses. With the exception of a nice outdoor island for the woolly and squirrel monkeys, the outside enclosures are clearly afterthoughts (two small cages between three great ape species and unviewable cages for the monkeys on the roof). Shame, because the rest of the zoo is almost uniformly superb.

Chimpanzee enclosure at Basel Zoo 30/08/09
Maguari, 4 Sep 2009
    • Maguari
      Like so many central European zoos, the monkey/ape house is the least impressive of the zoo\'s houses. With the exception of a nice outdoor island for the woolly and squirrel monkeys, the outside enclosures are clearly afterthoughts (two small cages between three great ape species and unviewable cages for the monkeys on the roof). Shame, because the rest of the zoo is almost uniformly superb.
    • James27
      Is this is the indoor area? I ask because of the plants at the back, have they been planted inside?
    • Maguari
      Yup, this is all indoors.
    • James27
      Thanks, wondered what was going on.
    • snowleopard
      @Maguari: why is it that so many primate houses in central European zoos are disappointing? You made that statement and from photos I certainly agree, but why is that the case? Lack of funds? Perhaps the monkeys and apes aren't as hardy in the tough winters, thus meaning that lush outdoor exhibits are hardly used?
    • Maguari
      Nothing to do with climate - most European zoos don't have too severe winters - the Gulf Stream means we're much more temperate than similar latitudes of North America or Eastern Asia. I'm really not sure where it comes from, but there is a very definite style of stark, often indoor-only exhibit that was favoured by (particularly German) zoos for some years. They built massive houses like the ones at Basel, Wuppertal, Zurich and so on and now I wonder if the sheer size of these exhibit makes them difficult to replace or renovate. There are some excellent central European ape enclosures though - Leipzig's Pongoland is a very good example - but so many places still have these houses. I don't think the indoor enclosures are actually that bad - it's the complete or near-complete absence of decent outdoor areas that really let them down.
    • BlackRhino
      At the Gorilla exhibit in Cleveland, where in the winter time it gets extremely cold and snowy, the gorillas can be seen in their outdoor exhibit April-October. I don't think Apes and Monkeys are as hardy as rhinos and elephants, which go out year-round even in freezing conditions to enjoy a good snowfall.
    • snowleopard
      @Maguari: thanks for your explanation, although neither of us seems to really understand the reasoning behind so many subpar European primate houses. Leipzig's Pongoland appears to be one of the top 5 ape complexes on the planet, but so many other zoos have great exhibits until one hits the old-fashioned, outdated "monkey house". Maybe these monstrous buildings should be turned into facilities for other animals (an Amazon house, a small mammal house, a rodent house like the "Mouse House" at the Bronx Zoo) while large-scale, brand-new primate yards could be built with a significant raising of funds.
    • CZJimmy
      I've been to Twycross when it has been snowing and most of the gorillas loved to play with the snow.

I don't think you could say that elephants and rhinos like the snow as a rule, i'm sure it comes down to an individual animal's taste (much like how some people like snow and others don't).
    • James27
      A lot possibly has to do with money, think how much all the strong bars etc cost. Also, if the houses are good then I guess they don't see the point in spending money on new outdoor areas.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Basel
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    4 Sep 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: