Join our zoo community
skoop102

Colobus Enclosure

The colobus monkey enclosure at Banham Zoo. It includes this massive outdoor area, with a runway across the path to another outdoor area and a indoor house.

Tags:
Colobus Enclosure
skoop102, 9 Jul 2008
David Matos Mendes likes this.
    • skoop102
      The colobus monkey enclosure at Banham Zoo.

It includes this massive outdoor area, with a runway across the path to another outdoor area and a indoor house.
    • snowleopard
      The enclosure appears to be enormous, and it's odd to see so much grass in a colobus exhibit.
    • mstickmanp
      Do the monkeys share their exhibit with any other animal, because it's humongous?
    • Zooish
      Huge space, but rather inappropriate for an arboreal species.
    • Orycteropus
      I agree with Zooish ... and furthermore not too appropriate for the visitors, too ...
    • skoop102
      They were the only animals in the exhibit. There were lots of them, and there appeared to be several youngsters.
      They spent most of their time eating grass and playing.
      It looks as though it was perhaps an old enclosure for big cats which has been reused for the monkeys?
    • JamesB
      its look pretty modern but very unsuitable for aboreal monkeys!
    • robertwestby
      this photo does not give the enclosure any credit. it has been taken with a wide angle lense and misses out the trees on the left hand side of the photo. there is a lot of grass but nowhere near as much as the photo shows. the furnishing is getting old now and started out as a live well established willow tree which over the years this has taken a battering. plans are in the pipe line to refurbish this enclosure. the outside is planted up with a mix of herbs and plants that the colobus can access. the keepers also feed fresh browse and give plenty of enrichment.
    • skoop102
      May I just say that when I took the photo I was only taking it to show the fantastic space which the monkeys have available to them. I was not in any way trying to be negative about it.
      Maybe Robert Westby you could provide some more flattering photos of the enclosure, seeing as you were so offended by my photo!
      And maybe people should visit the zoo, and see the whole enclosure, before making critisisms over something they have never even seen in person.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Banham Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    skoop102
    Date:
    9 Jul 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    443.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ18
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:08 15:59:03
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).