Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Common Chimpanzee Enclosure

Common Chimpanzee Enclosure
FunkyGibbon, 18 Jun 2019
snowleopard likes this.
    • lintworm
      Overall this looks like a pretty solid zoo, with the newer (?) developments looking mostly pretty good. The bads are quite bad though.... How typical is these of Chinese zoos in general?
    • FunkyGibbon
      @lintworm That's a tough question. I intend to produce a loose ranking thread of all the Chinese zoos I've visited in the last few years this autumn, so this may be a bit of a preview of what I present in that thread. Overall, I think Chinese zoos (and aquaria) need to be divided into two distinct categories: state-owned and operated vs commercial parks. The latter typically look pretty but scratch a little below the surface and you will find something unacceptable. There are exceptions to this of course. Government zoos can be broadly subdivided into two further groups: those that are successfully modernising* and those that are not. Hangzhou is a great example of the former and is possibly my favourite zoo in China. The truth is that outside of Chimelong you will not find a Chinese zoo that doesn't have an ugly side of a similar magnitude to what I have uploaded here. The defining question to be asked is whether that blemish was built recently or not.

*A nod must be given here to a further nested category of city zoos that have moved to larger sites out of town but remain under government control. The two of these I have seen were fairly impressive.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hangzhou Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    18 Jun 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2880px
    Height:
    2160px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).