Join our zoo community
FunkyGibbon

Common hippopotamus Enclosure

Also contains Impala, Ellipsen waterbuck, Egyptian Goose and other waterfowl. I've tried to capture as much of it as possible in this shot but this is at most three quarters I'd say.

Common hippopotamus Enclosure
    • Coelacanth18
      This, IMO, is what a hippo enclosure should look like. In fact, it almost seems TOO big... if the hippos were at the back of the enclosure, they would be quite a distance away. But in terms of the trees, the very large pond, and the large grassy pasture for grazing... marvelous.
    • ralph
      On my visit, the impalas were no longer in this enclosure. The Ellipsen waterbuck were signed here, but were in an adjacent enclosure (maybe they have access to the hippo enclosure sometimes, but the gates between them were closed on my visit)
    • FunkyGibbon
      @ralph is the fence between that enclosure and this one not wide enough for the waterbuck to pass through? I'm sure that was the case on my visit. What did you think of the zoo?
    • ralph
      Possible, I don't remember tbh.

I quite liked the zoo, but don't understand why some species are on rotation, there's plenty of space for all of them to have seperate enclosures so they can be out all the time.
      Ofcourse, just my luck, I missed out on the red-necked gazelles (the sable antilopes were out instead) and maneless zebras (the dromedary camels were our) which I both had never seen. Luckily I saw the zebras in Zlin a few days later, but still bummed out about the gazelles.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Species rotation is one of the most frustrating things in a zoo!

This looks great, how do the three hoofstock species interact?

~Thylo
    • FunkyGibbon
      I think they don't broadly. The hippos were in the pool all day. The impala were quite skittish and moved around in a herd a lot. The waterbuck kept much more to the wooded part out of shot to the left, which the hippos can't access I believe.
    • ralph
      Indeed, thats were the waterbuck were on my visit as well. Very well hidden in the vegetation, with just their ears giving them away.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Dvůr Králové
    Uploaded By:
    FunkyGibbon
    Date:
    17 May 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5152px
    Height:
    3864px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon IXUS 155
    Date / Time:
    2016:09:09 15:26:09
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).