Join our zoo community
LOU

Congo Buffalo - July, 2009

I wonder where these will be displayed in Melbourne Zoo?

Congo Buffalo - July, 2009
LOU, 25 Jul 2009
    • LOU
      I wonder where these will be displayed in Melbourne Zoo?
    • PAT
      I've heard that they'll be exhibited near the water recycling plant so this could be next to the kangaroo walk-through, where the temporary seal pools are when the seals move to their new exhibit (this seems most likely) or in the bongo exhibit which would be cool but unlikely.
      How many did they have at Werribee?
      And does anyone know the sexes of these ones and Dubbos ones...Would it be possible to join the herds and breed them.
    • LOU
      Werribee only have two Congo Buffalos which are male and female.

WPZ have 3 males and i don't think you could have 4 males in with 1 female.

From what i know these are the only ones in Australia and they are listed as a phase-out species.

:)
    • LOU
      There is quite a bit of space between the water recycling plant and the tapir exhibit and i agree that it seems the most likely spot for them to go.

Maybe Melbourne could send there female tapir to Taronga (to make use of the second tapir enclosure) and then her old exhibit could become part of a Bongo/Buffalo precinct? The current Bongo exhibit is a bit underwhelming in my opinion and could do with an exhibit which looks more like an African jungle.

:)
    • phoenix
      this congo buffalo pair originally came from melbourne - where they lived in the exhibit that now houses bongo.

sadly all males in the country are castrated - so its impossible to breed them. what a travesty. these guys are still rather rare in zoos and one of my absolute favorites.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Werribee Open Range Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    LOU
    Date:
    25 Jul 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: