Join our zoo community
Saro

Crab-eating raccoon

Crab-eating raccoon
Saro, 11 Apr 2010
    • Maguari
      Ooh, these are new! Where are these displayed?

I rather like Crab-eating Raccoons!
    • Saro
      The animal in the photo was born at Karlsruhe and lived at Dortmund until 2006. The enclosure is now occupied by Coatis ...
      Epe and Overloon have them according to ISIS, but I have never been there.
    • Maguari
      Ah, yes - looking at the EXIF data the photo was taken 2003. Thanks for that.

The only time I've seen them was at Zoo Best (part of the Zodiac group along with Epe and Overloon) in May 09 - Epe also had them at the time but not Overloon so I guess Overloon has got Best's.

That was where I got my avatar shot. :)
    • Saro
      Crab-eating raccoons are very interesting animals to work with. The ones at Dortmund were always rather timid and nowhere near as pushy as coatis for example. I would not call them shy, rather gentle and careful. Often they were not visible for the visitors, although you just had to know the right time to look. On the whole, they seemed to be a more primitve species, compared to common raccoons or coatis, even though that might be wrong from an evolutionary point of view. Their movements often reminded me of marsupials like the Tylacine. It's really a shame, you don't see them more often. They just need to be presented the right way!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Dortmund
    Uploaded By:
    Saro
    Date:
    11 Apr 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    848.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    768px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S602 ZOOM
    Date / Time:
    2003:04:18 13:33:44
    Exposure Time:
    10/1100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    18.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).