Join our zoo community
Maguari

Crowned Sifakas at Cotswold WP, 05/03/11

[i]Propithecus coronatus[/i]

Crowned Sifakas at Cotswold WP, 05/03/11
    • Maguari
      Propithecus coronatus
    • Pertinax
      That's an amazing shot. Do you know how long they have had the two living together. Both are males presumably?
    • Maguari
      Thanks! Looking at it now it would benefit from a bit of cropping actually...

Not sure how long they've been together except that they weren't together in April 2010! The single Ring-tailed Lemur that was keeping the original sifaka company is also still in here. They are both males - Cotswold should have 3.0 if nothing's changed but not sure where the last animal is being kept.
    • robmv
      I was intrigued by the fact that they have managed to get the two together so I did a bit of digging ...

The three males at Cotswold WP are Youssou (b.1998), Douany (b.2001) and Bafana (b.2007): Youssou and Bafana have been successfully introduced. Attempts to introduce Douany failed due to aggression from Youssou who apparently would not accept another adult male.

All three males are being tested with implants (presumably to suppress testosterone levels) and the results of these tests could have positive implications for the heavily male-skewed population. It seems likely that Douany was shut in the house at the time of our visit if the introductions are still being attempted.
    • zoooguy
      cool photo
      x
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cotswold Wildlife Park and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    8 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    275.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1071px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2011:03:05 15:49:56
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 180
    Focal Length:
    135 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).