Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

deepsea tank

in the foreground are Japanese Spider Crabs ([i]Macrocheira kaempferi[/i]). Behind them can be seen Japanese King Crab ([i] Paralomis hystrix[/i]) and a Giant Isopod ([i]Bathynomus giganteus[/i]). Also in the tanks are Big Roughies ([i]Gephyroberyx japonicus[/i]) and Snipefish ([i]Macroramphosus scolopax[/i]). See here for more details about my visit: http://www.zoochat.com/266/first-visit-s-e-aquarium-25-a-362709/

deepsea tank
Chlidonias, 1 Nov 2014
Elephantlover likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      in the foreground are Japanese Spider Crabs (Macrocheira kaempferi). Behind them can be seen Japanese King Crab ( Paralomis hystrix) and a Giant Isopod (Bathynomus giganteus). Also in the tanks are Big Roughies (Gephyroberyx japonicus) and Snipefish (Macroramphosus scolopax).

See here for more details about my visit: http://www.zoochat.com/266/first-visit-s-e-aquarium-25-a-362709/
    • temp
      Nice photos and review. It's perhaps worth noting that the giant isopod most likely is not Bathynomus giganteus. Everywhere (Japanese aquariums, Taiwanese aquariums, Berlin, Singapore's Marine Life, etc) seem to label their giant isopods as this species, but they generally originate from the oceans off Japan. Historically pretty much all supergiants in the genus were included in B. giganteus, but this changed with reviews in 2004 and 2006 where it was restricted to the Atlantic. The supergiant of the northwest Pacific is B. kensleyi and this is presumably the species seen in most aquariums, incl. Singapore (the remaining supergiants are Atlantic, Indian Ocean and SW Pacific). I've also seen the smaller (<15 cm) B. doederleinii in Japan, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be forwarded to aquariums elsewhere.
    • Zooish
      The Japanese King Crabs are gone. Hilgendorf's Saucord and a Blotchy Swell Shark have been added.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Marine Life Park
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    1 Nov 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: