Join our zoo community
geomorph

Discover the Bay - Fish

This is a mid-size aquarium in San Francisco, California. It features aquatic life native to the San Francisco Bay in three main exhibit areas, Discover the Bay, Under the Bay, and Touch the Bay. See my thread for a review of the facility.

Discover the Bay - Fish
geomorph, 11 Aug 2009
    • geomorph
      This is a mid-size aquarium in San Francisco, California. It features aquatic life native to the San Francisco Bay in three main exhibit areas, Discover the Bay, Under the Bay, and Touch the Bay. See my thread for a review of the facility.
    • Kifaru Bwana
      What type of bass are we looking at? :confused:
    • geomorph
      Sorry, I did not note what species this is.
    • Moebelle
      Nassau grouper?
    • condor
      The orange-striped in the background is a flag rockfish (Sebates rubrivinctus) and the brownish-striped in the foreground is probably a copper rockfish (S. caurinus), though I'm not 100% sure about the latter because there are several quite similar rockfish species (notably gopher rockfish, S. carnatus), the head is a bit out of focus and the angle doesn't allow a clear view of the most of the body. With about half the recognized species found off the coast of California, it is the rockfish capital of the world. When you add species like tiger (S. nigrocinctus), treefish (S. serriceps), China (S. nebulosus), starry (S. constellatus) and others, it's no wonder a rockfish aquarium can be found in most larger US aquariums.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aquarium of the Bay
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    11 Aug 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: