East African Savanna

July 20th, 2015.

East African Savanna
snowleopard, 23 Jul 2015
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      July 20th, 2015.
    • Arizona Docent
      A fantastic exhibit, one of my favorites in all my zoo travels. Why is it so great? Let me count the ways...

1) Size. All the grass you see, back to the far reaches, is part of the exhibit.

2) Lions. The cliff in the back right is a lion exhibit that blends seamlessly via an invisible moat.

3) Grevy zebras. Every other zoo I know of with zebras in a mix exhibit use plains zebras (or rarely mountain zebras) because Grevy do not mix well with other animals. Yet here they do.

4) Soemmerings gazelles. A rarity in US zoos (only four in nation more or less).

5) Warthogs. Having warthogs in a mix on a real grass savanna, instead of a small mud/dirt yard, is great.

6) Flowers. In spring the entire exhibit erupts with yellow flowers, which is breathtaking. In my southwest zoo book, the main page photo for the chapter on Caldwell Zoo is a warthog in a field of flowers, something that would be impossible to find at any other zoo.
    • jayjds2
      Although I haven't yet visited this zoo, I can tell you that there are more than 4 Soemmerings gazelles in the nation. I see more than four every time I visit family in Saint Louis. They are becoming quite a rarity though.
    • Arizona Docent
      I meant four zoos, not four individual gazelles.
    • jayjds2
      Oh. My bad, that would be more accurate.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Caldwell Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Jul 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: