Hix

Euphorbia candelabrum

Euphorbia candelabrum
Hix, 5 Nov 2013
    • Hix
      Lake Mburo National Park
      September 2013
    • Kakapo
      just a note, Euphorbia are completely unrelated with cactus.
    • Hix
      Yes, but they're called cactus colloquially because of the spines.
    • Kakapo
      Maybe, but it's the first time that I read it. It sounds like "orca fish" or "flying fox-bird".
    • Hix
      Or like flying fox?

Or Mountain Chicken, Sand Fish, Horned Toad, Koala Bear, Flying Lemur, Marsupial Mouse, Tasmanian Tiger/Wolf, Sea Lion, or Guinea Pig?

:p

Hix
    • Kakapo
      Some of these names are not much used and usually people dislike them (Koala bear, instead just Koala). But most of them are widely used. Euphorbia cactus is much less used than any of them, I never saw it before. Everybody call them just "Spurges" (with some exceptions, like Pasque flower), or use the scientific "Euphorbia".

Anyway... these are only common names. So, no rules, no chances to be valid or invalid. Everybody can call an organism like he want :)
    • callum
      do like it when people post pictures of plants on here and euphorbia is a plant that really excites me (I have 3 in my greenhouse :D)
    • Hix
      Quite correct in everything you said (except for two things), I was merely pointing out that there are many similar names in common usage.

The two exceptions - Flying Fox, Mountain Chicken, Sand Fish, Horned Toad, Sea Lion and Guinea Pig are all in very common usage; and in Uganda at least, "Euphorbia Cactus" is the common name there, and it's what the local Parks & Wildlife Rangers call it too.

However, you'll see I've changed the title of the image to it's botanical name.

:p

Hix
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uganda - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    5 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    659.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1542px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon IXUS 220HS
    Date / Time:
    2013:09:10 15:51:45
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    14.041 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).