Batto

Evolution museum

Cave paintings section

Evolution museum
Batto, 25 Oct 2020
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      Chauvet cave replica by the looks of it
      @Batto Interesting how they have all these ancient artifacts / antiquities.
    • Batto
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus That's the general idea of the "Evolution Museum": one of the owners (either the father aka founder or the son) has a huge collection of fossils, anthropological artifacts, mounts etc. Both have plenty of money. The museum was built to showcase said elements, and that quite convincingly. I wish I had that kind of money for WdG...
      The problem is that the rest of the zoo is suffering from an ongoing internal conflict between father and son, lack of necessary investment, factual knowledge and good staff management. To the point that even the less attentive visitors have started to notice. And it is up to see how that is going to influence the zoo's status and membership in the national and international zoo associations in the future.
      @Batto Yes, I can only imagine that they must be absurdly wealthy to be able to purchase Ancient Egyptian and Andean artifacts. Any kind of antiquity typically costs an arm and a leg let alone an Egyptian or Andean mummy.

An ongoing disagreement between father and son... hmmmmm... that doesn't sound very good at all.

The future doesn't sound too bright for this particular zoo by the sounds of it which is a shame as they have some interesting concepts.
    • Batto
      @Onychorhynchus coronatus Take the Santarem marmoset as an example: Schmiding is the only zoo keeping this species in Europe. A smart zoo would highlight this fact to its benefit, just like it would mention that the horned screamers, kept together with the marmosets within their dark dusty indoor exhibit in the arthropod zoo section, are almost equally rare in European zoos. Instead they use a horrible, incorrect sign (as pointed out by @lintworm) for the marmoset (the one of the screamer idn't much better) without mentioning the rarity of these two species in European zoos. Why have a zoological USP if you don't use it properly?
      @Batto Ah so this is the collection with the Santarem marmoset, I'm guessing that they got it from the Rio Primate Centre here in Brazil right ?

Yes, I agree, it should be something to be highlighted so the lack of this is quite disappointing.

Haven't seen these signs, in what way are they incorrect ? in terms of factual information or species names etc ?
    • Batto
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Batto
      Zoo Schmiding belongs to the same owner of Zooparque Itatiba, here in Brazil. They have opened a very similar museum in their zoo here, and the structure in general is very similar. Also, the marmosets might have came from their collection here.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Schmiding
    Uploaded By:
    Batto
    Date:
    25 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    HUAWEI
    Model:
    MAR-LX1A
    Date / Time:
    2020:10:25 12:07:06
    Exposure Time:
    60000000/1000000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 2000
    Focal Length:
    4.75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).