Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

first signs of construction

The new elephant exhibit begins construction in about two months, but it is an addition in a field behind the rhinos with no access. So the first step is to start on the visitor pathway, which will cut through the end of the rhino exhibit. I was surprised (saddened, disgusted) at how far into the rhino yard it is - they cut it almost in half. I am hoping this is temporary until the path is done - the sign does say it is for construction vehicles. However the one keeper and docent I asked about it seem to think it is permanent. If so, this is a HUGE mistake. It is GREAT to have more room for elephants, but why give less room for rhinos? That is a big step backwards. I sincerely hope this new fenceline is not permanent.

first signs of construction
Arizona Docent, 3 Jul 2010
    • Arizona Docent
      The new elephant exhibit begins construction in about two months, but it is an addition in a field behind the rhinos with no access. So the first step is to start on the visitor pathway, which will cut through the end of the rhino exhibit. I was surprised (saddened, disgusted) at how far into the rhino yard it is - they cut it almost in half. I am hoping this is temporary until the path is done - the sign does say it is for construction vehicles. However the one keeper and docent I asked about it seem to think it is permanent. If so, this is a HUGE mistake. It is GREAT to have more room for elephants, but why give less room for rhinos? That is a big step backwards. I sincerely hope this new fenceline is not permanent.
    • Blackduiker
      That is sad. And for the new elephant exhibit in LA, we had to sacrifice state-of-the-art rhino habitats for two species, and one for hippos too. We almost totally eliminated the exhibition of rhinos here, and proper underwater viewing for our hippos. Our other pachyderms deserve a better future here as well.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    3 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    81.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    288px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2010:07:03 09:59:32
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).