Join our zoo community
Chalklion

Flamingo chick, 12 July 2014

Flamingo chick, 12 July 2014
Chalklion, 13 Jul 2014
    • Bele
      Good picture . How many chicks did you see Chalklion ?
    • Tim May
      I was a Whipsnade yesterday too; I saw five chicks.
    • Bele
      Thank you Tim . Can you remember when this flock last bred ? I cannot recall breeding in recent years .

I saw one small Caribbean flamingo chick at WWT Llanelli this morning , with about a dozen birds sitting on nests .
    • Tim May
      I have just read on the internet that seven flamingo chicks have been hatched at Whipsnade so far this year (although I definitely only noticed five myself yesterday).
    • Chalklion
      I saw seven the week before, and five yesterday. There could of course be more.
    • Tim May
      Over the decades of visiting Whipsnade I’ve seen young flamingo chicks many times but, I’m sorry, I cannot recall exactly when I last saw youngsters in this group.

Frustratingly, the ZSL Animal Inventories from 2006 onwards only list the total number of individuals of each species in the collection and no longer detail births / hatchings; arrivals; departures and deaths so it is impossible to refer to these to answer such questions.

I was back at Whipsnade again today; this time I clearly saw seven flamingo chicks.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chalklion
    Date:
    13 Jul 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: