Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

flying dragon (Draco walkeri)

flying dragon (Draco walkeri)
Chlidonias, 29 Aug 2011
Haliaeetus and CMP like this.
    • Chlidonias
      August 2011 at Bantimurung, southern Sulawesi.
    • devilfish
      Brilliant shot, well done. Seems like a pretty vertical drop - is your guide just holding its tail or is it actually gliding?
    • SMR
      The EXIF says "Exposure time: 0.017 s (1/60)" so most likely the animal is being held by the tail.
    • gentle lemur
      Its flight membranes seem to be only half expanded.
      It's a pity they are so hard to keep ex situ. Imagine a walk-through exhibit ;)

Alan
    • Chlidonias
      yes the guide is holding it by the tail. I'm not normally a catch-the-animal-to-look-at-it sort of person -- I prefer to just watch them doing their thing, but the guide was just dashing up to grab them off tree trunks, and it did allow me to get a good shot (and if I turn it sideways I can always pretend it was gliding :D). The local name is cicak turbang which basically means "flying lizard".

If you look at the earlier (2009) flying dragon shots here from northern Sulawesi, that's what I normally get as a photo because they are so skittish.
    • Pacarana
      It's very unfortunate that there diet is so restricting. I believe back in 2009 there were some captive births in spain. They seem to be common in the pet trade, but that doesn't mean anything. It takes a very dedicated person with the right resources to keep this animal.
    • Blackduiker
      Still a great shot Chlidonias.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Indonesia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    29 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    316.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).