Lied Jungle. August 5, 2017

Flying fox (Pteropus) ID
jayjds2, 23 Oct 2017
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • hylianzoologist
      Im pretty sure those are Egyptian fruit bats
    • Chlidonias
      @hylianzoologist no, it's a Pteropus.

@jayjds2 I don't think you'd be able to tell which one from that photo. Isn't Omaha supposed to have vampyrus?
    • jayjds2
      @hylianzoologist Egyptian fruit bats are kept in Lied, but they are much smaller and this is clearly a Pteropus.

@Chlidonias Omaha keeps pumilus and giganteus in Kingdoms of the Night. This was the first time I’ve seen one in Lied, and it wasn’t signed, so that’s why I posted it. I doubted anyone would be able to ID it by photo, but was just looking for any information available. I imagine it could be a number of species.
    • Chlidonias
      okay, I'd seen the name "large flying fox" for Omaha so thought it referred to vampyrus.

If it were one of those two species it would be giganteus (looks quite different to pumilus) - but it could easily be some other species.
    • bugboiben
      They're giganteus! There are 2 or 3 males in the Jungle while the females are in Kingdoms of the Night
      jayjds2 likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    jayjds2
    Date:
    23 Oct 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot SX520 HS
    Date / Time:
    2017:08:05 02:02:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    89.462 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).