Join our zoo community
SMR

Former Lion Enclosure - 12/11/2019

Lanterns plastic animals being installed into the former lion enclosure.

Former Lion Enclosure - 12/11/2019
SMR, 12 Nov 2019
    • SMR
      I found this hard to see, perhaps because I've been so close to the zoo for so many years. The lion enclosure was key to the beginnings of the zoo and its purpose, it was also critical to its survival. Now a hole has been punched in the barriers and a walkway and plastic animals are being installed ahead of Lanterns.
    • Arizona Docent
      Will this no longer be a live animal exhibit? Or will a new exhibit be built after the (presumably temporary) lantern exhibit?
    • Pertinax
      @SMR I also remember this enclosure from my various earliest visits up to just recently- with its mesh and distinctive row of mature Lime or Beech(?) trees. But it was very dated and I've often thought something more in keeping landscape-wise might be more appropriate and that has happened now. But I appreciate its hard seeing these iconic early enclosures disappear.
    • SMR
      @Arizona Docent It doesn't have any future for animals unless one of the teams manages to save a small area. It's going to be a picnic area and extension to the (already vast) play area.
    • taun
      @SMR Will they keep the trees?

Other than the indoor area this was not horrendous enclosure, shame it is not going to be re-used for something else.
    • Pertinax
      @taun I imagine the trees may be safeguarded by preservation orders- I hope so...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    SMR
    Date:
    12 Nov 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2160px
    Height:
    3238px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    ILCE-7RM3
    Date / Time:
    2019:11:12 12:35:53
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).