Join our zoo community
SoCalChevy

Former Lion Exhibit

Taken New Year's Day 2013. Does anyone know what the plans are for this exhibit?

Former Lion Exhibit
SoCalChevy, 14 Apr 2013
    • SoCalChevy
      Taken New Year\'s Day 2013.

Does anyone know what the plans are for this exhibit?
    • Arizona Docent
      I do not remember ever seeing that wood fencing along the top. It must be a fairly recent addition.
    • SoCalChevy
      Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing it before either.
    • mstickmanp
      The wooden fence at the top is a new addition. I believe the zoo wants to acquire Lions again in the near future.
    • Blackduiker
      I noticed the new wood paneling on my last visit to the zoo. I was somewhat disappointed that they still didn't fill in the moat to enlarge the exhibit space. Then put up a glass-fronted viewing area. Maybe they will acquire a couple of youngsters, as when the zoo first opened and I viewed back in 1966. Other than that, still quite a confined space for adult lions.
    • SoCalChevy
      It does seem that the zoo wants to get more lions, since the sign says it is "temporarily closed".
    • mstickmanp
      They also confirmed it in the zoo's facebook page when they answered somebody's question about lions coming back to the zoo.
    • snowleopard
      There are 51 out of America's best 60 zoos that have lions, although Utah's Hogle Zoo will make it 52 in 2014 when its African Savanna precinct opens. The 8 zoos that will still lack lions are: Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Binder Park, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Nashville, Point Defiance, Roger Williams Park and Utah's Hogle Zoo. It is difficult to believe that a much improved Los Angeles Zoo will not have lions for much longer.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    SoCalChevy
    Date:
    14 Apr 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: