Join our zoo community
Sicarius

Galápagos land iguana (Conolophus subcristatus)

Galápagos land iguana (Conolophus subcristatus)
    • Mickey
      So this is the famous smuggled specimen, how's the enclosure and care? And are there others?
    • Sicarius
      They have many, breed them regularly and the enclosures are very good. Smuggled or not, these animals are in great shape and do very well in captivity.
      Mickey likes this.
    • Mickey
      @Sicarius nice to know, would there be any chance iZoo shares them with others? I doubt any would accept, but if any foreign zoo asked for specimens would the structure be keen to collaborate? No problem if you don't know, just thought I'd ask
    • Mr Gharial
      This is actually quite a problem with a lot of Island fauna. The Galapagos are a protected area, so you can't take animals out. But that also means that zoos can't breed them, which would be very good for the population (see the Blue iguana population).

So smuggling is bad, but it's now good that they're being bred. Zoos don't want to support smuggling and take over the animals, but that also means they can't set up a proper breeding programme
    • Mickey
      @Mr Gharial yeah the private animal trade can be pretty shady at times, and some specimens even end up in zoos (see the Borneo earless monitor), that is mostly due to lenghty or non-existent bureaucratic papers that makes smuggling the only easy option to get animals.
      Of course I do not support smuggling, but I do think papers to get animals should be loosened at least for scientific structures such as accredited zoos and universities.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    iZoo
    Uploaded By:
    Sicarius
    Date:
    25 Nov 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5801px
    Height:
    3867px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2022:11:25 06:23:24
    Exposure Time:
    10/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).