Maguari

Gaur at Whipsnade 08/05/10

[i]Bos gaurus[/i]

Gaur at Whipsnade 08/05/10
Maguari, 9 May 2010
    • Maguari
      Bos gaurus
    • Pertinax
      VERY interesting shot. Now can you tell me- is this the young male born there, plus a new female partner? I never thought they would bother to persevere with them but pleased they have.
    • Maguari
      As far as I'm aware it's still mum and son but I'm not a regular enough visitor to know the individual animals by sight. Could easily be wrong on this so if anyone knows better please chip in!
    • Pertinax
      I thought the mother died some months ago and they were then left with just the young male? Its been mentioned on the Forum somewhere. OR maybe that was hearsay and this is still the mother/son pair:confused:. But when I saw them last autumn they were definately separated, not together like this, as if to prevent any inbreeding.
    • Maguari
      Hmmm... I'm not going to be much help, I'm afraid! I have to say I just assumed the two Gaur this time were the same as the two last time as I hadn't heard of any changes.
    • Tim May
      The most recent ZSL species list shows there was only 1.0 gaur at Whipsnade as at 31st December 2009; presumably, therefore, this is a new female.
    • Pertinax
      Maguari- For me this is definately the most interesting shot from your visit (2nd -the two hippos indoors together, then the European animals..;))

Tim- thanks for that information, from which it does seem its a new female Gaur as I thought initially. Good news.

BTW. The first person to post a photo of a G.I. Rhino at Whipsnade bathing in the indoor moat of their House will be in line for a major prize...;)
    • Maguari
      Excellent news in that case!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: