Join our zoo community
Tim May

Gaur; Whipsnade; 3rd November 2017

Gaur; Whipsnade; 3rd November 2017
    • Tim May
      Now rehoused in the old black rhinoceros accommodation where they look much better in a more spacious paddock.
    • Pertinax
      @Tim May What is using their old enclosure now ?
    • Tim May
      @Pertinax
      On my previous visit in October, the gaurs had been moved to their new accommodation but were confined to the hardstand without access to the paddock. On that occasion, their former enclosure was unoccupied.

My visit on 3rd November was the first time I'd seen them out in their new paddock. That visit was a rather short one so I didn't have time to look at their old exhibit; I assume that the gaur's old enclosure is still empty but cannot be sure.
      Pertinax likes this.
    • Tim May
      @Pertinax

Further to my last post, I've visited again today; this is to confirm that the previous gaur exhibit is still currently empty.

There is now a sign which reads:-

We're sorry.
      This exhibit is temporarily empty.
      We are working on bringing a new species
      here soon.

(There is no indication yet as to what the new arrival will be.)
      Pertinax likes this.
    • Tim May
      @Pertinax
      On my visit today there was a trio of scimitar-horned oryx in the old gaur accommodation.

This was the first time I'd seen this enclosure occupied since the gaur were moved out last year. I didn't see any signage for the oryx so assume they'd only been there a short time.
      Pertinax likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    3 Nov 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3200px
    Height:
    2138px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
    Date / Time:
    2017:11:03 16:55:53
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    190 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).