Join our zoo community
Hipporex

"Generic" tigers

Panthera tigris - Tropical Rainforest - February 16, 2021

"Generic" tigers
Hipporex, 17 Feb 2021
The Cassowary and MonkeyBat like this.
    • MonkeyBat
      Hmm, a rare AZA facility which still has these types. Are they being planned on being phased out of the zoo?
    • Hipporex
      @MonkeyBat These are rescued individuals from the private trade. The zoo has a sign about although they aren't subspecies specific they feel it's important to make space for rescues.
    • Kakapo
      I find, to say the least, strange that one call tiger as "Generic tiger" but don't call every other species of animal in the world as, say, "Generic great-spotted woodpecker" or "Generic white seabream" if they're not assinged to a subspecies. The extreme obsession with big cats, and especially tigers, predominant in this site, always bugged me. It's just fine to call a tiger as "Tiger" :)
    • Andrew Swales
      @Kakapo I agree with you Kakapo. It is a form of snobbery, and seems to be starting on Giraffes now too...
    • Chlidonias
      @Kakapo it isn't because "they're not assigned to a subspecies", it is because they are hybrids between different subspecies, and because there specifically are breeding programmes for the different subspecies of tigers (or giraffes). It's got nothing to do with Andrew Swales' "snobbery" either :rolleyes:
      Mai Thai likes this.
    • Andrew Swales
      @Chlidonias
      It is certainly not my 'snobbery' - quite the reverse, actually...
      and I still agree with Kakapo, even if you think I shouldnt...
    • Coelacanth18
      @Andrew Swales out of curiosity, is it the word "generic" specifically you think is conceited, or is it the entire concept of distinguishing tigers who are of pure identified subspecies from tigers that are not? For example, is using the term "non-subspecific" different?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Oakland Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Hipporex
    Date:
    17 Feb 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 8
    Date / Time:
    2021:02:16 12:36:58
    Exposure Time:
    1/162 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 20
    Focal Length:
    3.99 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).