Join our zoo community
Hix

Gerald and Lee Durrell, 1982

Taken in Les Augres Manor. The 1982 Summer School had just finished and we had all been given our certificates. Gerry and Lee surprised us by walking in - they had been in South Africa fundraising for rhinos for several weeks. Despite being jetlagged they were keen to meet the students.

Gerald and Lee Durrell, 1982
Hix, 18 Jan 2014
    • Hix
      Taken in Les Augres Manor. The 1982 Summer School had just finished and we had all been given our certificates. Gerry and Lee surprised us by walking in - they had been in South Africa fundraising for rhinos for several weeks. Despite being jetlagged they were keen to meet the students.
    • DavidBrown
      What were you studying at Jersey, Hix? That must have been a very special experience.
    • Rick J
      These are lovely pictures Hix! David, I believe (from correspondence with him), that Hix took part in the 'Summer School' at the then International Training Centre. The course is still running, and now known as the 'Endangered Species Recovery' (ESR) programme, and lasts for two weeks each summer.

I actually attended the 2013 course, and despite working at Durrell, I learned more about the field projects, methodology and history behind the zoo/conservation crossover concept than I could have possibly imagined.

It's just a pity Gerry wasn't around to pop in and surprise us, like in this pic! Lee is currently one of the lecturers though. :)
    • Animal
      I have read almost all of his books, but never really knew how he looked. Thanks for the picture!
    • Hix
      David - Rick is quite correct. The Summer School was three weeks in duration and entitled "Breeding and Conservation of Endangered Species". The focus was mainly on captive management and breeding, using many examples from Jersey Zoo. There was also a field component regarding re-introduction, but in 1982 the JWPT was only just starting in that area so there weren't an awful lot of examples, and what they had was only just in the initial stages. I know they would have LOTS more in the way of examples these days.

I came away from the course feeling elated and enriched. At the time Jersey pretty much stood alone in the zoo world, as Gerry's philosophy for zoos was embraced by other zoos. It wasn't until the early 90's when London Zoo almost closed that other mainstream zoos realised they had to justify their existence, and Gerry's tenets started being declared as zoo objective (mainly the 'conservation' one).

It's just a shame so many zoos spouting conservation as part of their mission statement have no real understanding of what the concept involves.

:p

Hix
      Swampy likes this.
    • Hix
      He was talking when I took the photos (I was after candid shots) and so he doesn't seem to be smiling, but he was smiling a lot.

And right now I'm wondering why the hell I didn't get someone to take a photo of me with him and Lee.

Hix
    • zooboy28
      I saw this photo on Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust's Facebook page, and then read the description, and figured out who took it!

It must have been amazing to attend that course, and to meet Gerald and Lee Durrell! I imagine it would be an experience you would always remember. What inspired you to go on the course, were you working at the time?
    • Hix
      I'd been a fan of his for several years, having read a number of his books and seen his TV series "The Stationary Ark". Around Christmas of 1981 Taronga Zoo received by mail a number of brochures advertising the Summer School which were posted on staff noticeboards. The Director of the zoo at the time, Jack Throp, put one in the mail for me as he knew I'd be interested. I applied and was accepted. When the course came around I had been working (in a bank) for a year so I had the leave available. The timing was just right.

Hix
    • IanRRobinson
      So many of his books are essential reading for anybody with an interest in zoos in general, and UK zoos in particular. But I would especially recommend "Beasts in My Belfry", for conveying a sense of Whipsnade, its magic and its imperfections alike; and "The Stationary Ark", slightly short of the usual fun, but a great zoo man's critique of his industry, written after thirty years' experience in the field.

A lot of what he describes, with evident frustration, is apparent to this day; the inability to distinguish between space and useful space in animal enclosures; the ability of ill-supervised architects to construct buildings worse than they replaced; the lack of meaningful communication between different strands of zoo professionals; and the fact that captive breeding programmes require serious, long-term commitment.

By any stretch of the imagination he was a truly great man. I wish that he had lived longer.
    • Pertinax
      There's certainly still evidence of that around- Marwell's Siamang enclosure being a good example...
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust
    Uploaded By:
    Hix
    Date:
    18 Jan 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    461.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1492px
    Height:
    964px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).