Join our zoo community
vogelcommando

Giant armadillo with 2 other armadillos

Giant armadillo with 2 other armadillos
vogelcommando, 23 May 2014
    • vogelcommando
      Old archive picture. I guess the mother was imported together with the 2 young because I\'ve never heared the species has been bred in captivity.
    • TeaLovingDave
      I seem to recall the female was imported whilst pregnant, and gave birth after arrival - thus this is not counted as a captive breeding of the species.
    • Chlidonias
      is it not interesting that giant armadillos usually only have a single baby, and the two babies in this photo seem to be of different ages?
    • vogelcommando
      You were right Chlidonias ! The Zoo obtained these animals as being a Giant armadillo mother with 2 young but later these 2 young proofed to be 2 specimens of another species !
    • Chlidonias
      oh! Now that I had not expected!
    • TeaLovingDave
      Now you say that, the smaller two animals *do* look like one of the Naked-tailed Armadillo species (ie Cabassous sp)
    • vogelcommando
      A member of the belgium version of ZooChat ( Laafse Kikkers ) helped me with the Giant armadillo problem and gave me the following information :
      1965 A female Giant armadillo called Santa obtained with 2 smaller ones which later proofed to be Southern naked-tailed armadillos ( Cabassous unicinctus ) - well seen TLD !
      End of 1965 - beginning 1966 a second Giant armadillo was obtained, a male called Tatou.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    vogelcommando
    Date:
    23 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: