Join our zoo community
Antoine

Giant south american aviary - Hyacinth macaw flying

Giant south american aviary - Hyacinth macaw flying
Antoine, 10 Dec 2011
David Matos Mendes likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      Very nice to see macaws in a large free flight aviary, instead of on a pole with their wings clipped.
    • KCZooFan
      So you're not a fan of this exhibit?
    • snowleopard
      Is this fairly new aviary the largest in Europe (as claimed in "What Zoos Can Do")? I've seen many photos of it on ZooChat and I've read that it is over 1 hectare (2.5 acres in size). Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo has a 4-acre aviary that is so large that once inside it is difficult to see the end of it, but the one at Doue has a unique appearance and I'd love to tour it one day.
    • Antoine
      Probably the best exhibit in France for me. You can spend half a day to see all the birds living (and flying of course) in the aviary. A unique exhibit :)

No, I know at least two others aviaries which are larger than this one (one in Spain and one in Italy).
    • IanRRobinson
      Whilst I wouldn't envy either the keeper that had to catch up a bird here (and it is required from time to time) nor the bird involved, there's no doubt that this looks fabulous. How much of the stock has to be caught up to be put into warmer winter quarters?

I doubt if something like this could be attempted any further north-west in Europe; it would be too cool and damp in the summer to be worthwhile in Britain.
    • Arizona Docent
      Definitely not. Actually I do not like the practice of clipping or pinioning birds at all, even though every major U.S. zoo I can think of (including mine) does it. Macaws with clipped wings on a fixed branch is so standard, even (or especially) in AZA zoos, that it seems to be just accepted. But I cannot see how that is much different than surgically chopping a tiger's legs off at the knees so you can put them on display without a fence. (Of course there would be an international outcry if someone actually tried this). Why no outcry over preventing flying birds from flying?
    • Shirokuma
      I agree. Are there no free-flying macaws in the States? There are in the UK.
    • Ituri
      There are, but they are usually seen in bird shows rather than large flight cages.
    • Antoine
      There is a large warm house (off show area) where the birds can spend the night and the cold days. There is an open space at the top of the house with heating lamps during cold days (if I remember well).
    • Arizona Docent
      Very few and far between. Usually trained birds in shows, as Ituri says. The only macaw aviary I recall seeing, and it is not a very good one, is at Gladys Porter Zoo in Brownsville, Texas.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparc Zoo de Doué la Fontaine
    Uploaded By:
    Antoine
    Date:
    10 Dec 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    368.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1063px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ7
    Date / Time:
    2009:06:01 15:51:21
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).