Giants of the Savanna - Washrooms
snowleopard, 21 Jul 2015
    • snowleopard
      July 20th, 2015.
    • Arizona Docent
      I assume washroom is a Canadian term.

In American English it is bathroom.

In British English it is water closet.

I have also seen toilets used in Europe, a blunt yet accurate phrase.

What other English phrases are used around the world? I noticed on the Chester Zoo (England) Islands thread, they referred to it as a toilet block, which to me sounds like what they would be called in a prison.
    • LaughingDove
      I have never heard anyone say "just going to the water closet" or anything like that :p

Other terms for toilets?
      The loo, the bathroom (even if there is no bath!), the ladies/gents (sounds a bit old fashioned) or - even more old fashioned sounding - the powder room.

There are so many ways to say toilet!
    • Maguari
      No-one ever uses the phrase 'water closet' for toilet unless they're being ironic - though they'll still quite often be shown as WC on signs and maps. The UK mapping agency Ordnance Survey traditionally uses 'PC' - for 'public convenience' - but even this is on the way out: A new symbol for the toilet - BBC News

The most often used term in British English is simply 'the toilets'! :D

f you really wanted to avoid the word then 'the facilities', 'the loos', 'the little boys'/girls' room' etc are all there for you! (Before we get onto 'spend a penny', 'answer the call of nature' and suchlike...)

The 'toilet block' one is contextual - you wouldn't ask a staff member "Where is the nearest toilet block?" (you'd just say toilets) but in a building/layout context you might use it ("Is there going to be a new toilet block in the new section?").
    • Arizona Docent
      The above link says Public Convenience is used in the UK and US, but I do not know where in the US it would be used. I consider myself well traveled within my country and I have never heard or seen that term until this thread.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dallas Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    21 Jul 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count: