Join our zoo community
nanoboy

Goo on beach

These blobs were everywhere on the beach at Point Cook in Victoria, Australia. What on earth is it?

Goo on beach
nanoboy, 13 May 2013
    • nanoboy
      These blobs were everywhere on the beach at Point Cook in Victoria, Australia. What on earth is it?
    • DavidBrown
      They look like dead jellies or some kind of jelly relative.
    • Hix
      Whale snot.
    • DavidBrown
    • nanoboy
      So what is it really?
    • DavidBrown
      I really think it's a dead jelly.
    • nanoboy
      Yikes. Well, there was a mini die off then, unless that is normal.
    • PAT
      These must be quite common. Me and my siblings always used to say they were jellyfish eggs and throw them at each other. Dead jellyfish makes it a bit grosser.
    • dean
      I have just come back from Menorca in the Balearic islands in the western Mediterranean, and we couldn't sit along the beach for the smell of dead jelly fish, they were rather small and pinkie brown colour and were rotting along the strand line and in the water. In one inlet they were swimming about but the place still stank, due to the dead ones around them.
    • Quoll
      Moon shell egg masses

Those half-moon jellies are the egg masses of an intertidal gastropod, Conuber (or Polinices) sordidus. The common name is nearly as exciting - the Leaden Moon shell.
      The snail isn't real big, but the eggs are laid embedded in a protein matrix which swells up when exposed to sea water.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    nanoboy
    Date:
    13 May 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: