Join our zoo community
lintworm

Gorilla outdoor enclosure

This picture shows about 3/4 of the total outdoor enclosure for the group of Western lowland gorilla. I would guess it is just over 100 square meters in size. With all the good to worldclass exhibits in Z?rich it is inacceptable that the great apes still live in these small enclosures

Gorilla outdoor enclosure
lintworm, 5 Sep 2014
Tiger likes this.
    • lintworm
      This picture shows about 3/4 of the total outdoor enclosure for the group of Western lowland gorilla. I would guess it is just over 100 square meters in size.

With all the good to world class exhibits in Zürich it is inacceptable that the great apes still live in these small enclosures
    • 11jadaway
      How many gorillas in the troop?
    • 11jadaway
      I've been looking at other photos of the indoor houses and they look quite good. But I agree these outdoor exhibits are not acceptable.
    • lintworm
      There are 7 gorillas 1.3 adults and 3 offspring (1 from 2007 and 2 from 2012).
    • Pertinax
      As far as I remember Zurich Zoo is on quite a steep hillside and terraced, so that might compromise new building space though this is a pretty old enclosure and rather pokey-looking now compared to what a lot of Zoos are building these days. Its obviously time for an upgrade.

The silverback here, 'Ngola' has produced something like 34 offspring- obviously most have gone elsewhere-so the enclosure has not hampered breeding....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zürich Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    lintworm
    Date:
    5 Sep 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count: