Join our zoo community
Daniel Sörensen

Grey crowned crane

Grey crowned crane
Daniel Sörensen, 10 Nov 2018
dublinlion and CarLover like this.
    • Great Argus
      Black-crowned Crane, Balearica pavonina.
    • Kakapo
      You're wrong Great Argus. This is cleary grey crowned crane, not black crowned crane. Notice the grey (instead black) neck and how the cheek is deep red in upper part and more clear in lower part, instead be clear in upper part and red in lower part. With that so reddish "white part" of the cheek, it's the eastern subspecies, Balearica regulorum gibbericeps.

Also, the name "black-crowned crane" is clearly a flagrant obvious error, even when it appears in some more or less official sites such as Zootierliste and so. Of course must be writen black crowned crane, or if you want, black crowned-crane, but never black-crowned crane. The black thing is the crane, not the crown. Same happens often with the white, blue and brown eared pheasants, all of them have white "ears", it's the pheasants what are of different colour.
    • Daniel Sörensen
      @Great Argus @Kakapo Thank you guys for the feedback! I am pretty sure (just like Kakapo) that it is a grey crowned crane as the park had black crowned cranes in another part of the park that were darker :)
    • Great Argus
      @Kakapo You're right, I see my mistake. Thanks for the explanation on crowned cranes, I'd wondered about the black and gray in regards to the crowns, that explanation makes much more sense!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Weltvogelpark Walsrode
    Uploaded By:
    Daniel Sörensen
    Date:
    10 Nov 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count: