Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Grizzly Bear Exhibit

July 22nd, 2018.

Grizzly Bear Exhibit
snowleopard, 30 Jul 2018
    • amur leopard
      This place seems to have great potential, with a seemingly large plot of undisturbed land. Would you say they make good use of it or is there still lots of room for improvement?
    • snowleopard
      @amur leopard Here is my review from my Snowleopard's 2018 Road Trip thread:

Driving an hour north, I came to the best zoo of the 6 that I visited today in the form of Shalom Wildlife Zoo (West Bend, WI) and it is another new American zoo as its license was only just awarded in 2010. I spent a solid 2 hours here and I was walking for much of that time as the zoo is 100 acres, has 400 animals, and has a wide gravel road that takes visitors through the park. At times there are some beautiful exhibits as the ungulates have a great time at this facility. They are fed by many visitors and some of the pens (it seems as if everyone in Wisconsin calls zoo enclosures 'pens') are enormous. The Plains Bison, White-tailed Deer, Albino White-tailed Deer, Piebald White-tailed Deer, Red Deer, Sika Deer and Fallow Deer exhibits range in size from maybe an acre to perhaps 10 acres. It can be a bit hard for little kids to see a few deer, then walk 10 minutes through a forested area only to see a few more deer, and I saw some restless toddlers.

The flip-side to this zoo is that there are some disgraceful exhibits for smaller animals that are small cages with wire floors. How is that even comfortable to walk on? I saw two Fishers pacing badly, and other crappy cages with either cement or wire floors featured species such as American Badger, Coyote, Red Fox, Arctic Fox, American Mink and Virginia Opossum. All of those animals are found in cages that are beyond awful. There is also a big enclosure with Ostriches, Emus and Rheas (white ones) all together. Then there is a densely-packed Grey Wolf exhibit that is fantastic and full of vegetation and a brand-new Cougar exhibit that I would perhaps call outstanding as it is a contender for the largest Cougar enclosure that I've ever seen. Just when this zoo has its moment of greatness, like a spacious and natural-looking Grizzly Bear habitat, I walked into the gift shop and saw rows of tiny American Alligator heads and turtle shells for sale. Disgusting! Want a gator head for your desk?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Shalom Wildlife Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    30 Jul 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4608px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/3.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot ELPH 340 HS
    Date / Time:
    2018:07:22 00:00:24
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    4.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).