Join our zoo community
Trigger

half of the Elephant enclosure

This is a nice grassed area, not been to twycross ofr years, this is a nice improvment for the eles. They were all grazing.

half of the Elephant enclosure
Trigger, 12 May 2009
    • Trigger
      This is a nice grassed area, not been to twycross ofr years, this is a nice improvment for the eles. They were all grazing.
    • chizlit
      Trigger, I have to agree with you the elephant enclosure is so big, they were still working on it when I went, is it all finished now?
    • CZJimmy
      I really like the sandy and grassed Twycross paddocks, however i'm not a fan of the lack of bull accomodation or the indoor accomodation
    • James27
      They should keep retired females, where's the point in spending all that money on AI? I know the baby will be a draw, but they haven't had a baby ele for years and they've been doing fine.
      Btw, I think the enclosure is great, I just think they shouldn't have the breeding females if they can't breed them properly.
    • taun
      I concur, this enclosure is improving each year and is looking fantastic at the moment.
    • Trigger
      yep it appeared to all be up and running. i was really impressed as its a big improvment on the old set up and i thought the eles looked really content. The inside ws pretty basic but over all a good enclosure, I didn't relaise they were using Ai until I read another post.
    • snowleopard
      Wow, a green elephant paddock. That is a rare sight in any zoo! Hopefully the enrichment is as impressive as the lush field of grass, and it almost makes up for the abominable ape enclosures at Twycross.
    • Trigger
      and the grass was long!!
    • taun
      From what I can gather its more from the fact they are hardly let out on it. This is the first photo I have seen with them in this second paddock. Whenever I visit they are also in the first paddock.
    • Pertinax
      Two points;

1. Don't forget photos distort distances. It IS spacious but not quite as huge as it appears here.

2. For much of the time they are confined to the first paddock- hence the long grass.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Trigger
    Date:
    12 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: