Join our zoo community
Maguari

Hybrid Shelduck at Bristol, 06/02/12

Looks like Common x Ruddy - anyone know for sure? They've been on Gorilla Island for some time.

Hybrid Shelduck at Bristol, 06/02/12
Maguari, 17 Feb 2012
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Maguari
      Looks like Common x Ruddy - anyone know for sure? They\'ve been on Gorilla Island for some time.
    • Pertinax
      I would say Australian x Ruddy- note the white neck ring which only Australian shelduck has too. I don't think Common Shelduck is in the mix.

P.s. Saw two Bitterns yesterday- only yards away too!:D
    • IanRRobinson
      Let's hope it doesn't get out! One of the other reasons I don't like pinioned birds is if they do manage to fly off they confuse the hell out of birders!:confused:

Where were the Bitterns, Pertinax?
    • FBBird
      Hybrid Shelduck

It does look a bit 'Australian', but the Common X Ruddy Shelduck is very variable, and I have seen them as dark as this. Don't be fooled by the neck ring, some hybrids show characteristics not seen in either parent, the 'bridled' face pattern [reminiscent of Baikal Teal] of Common Teal hybrids being the best known.
      Whatever one's views on hybrids, this is a handsome bird.
      N.B. The whole point of pinioning is that they DON'T fly away....
    • Maguari
      Thanks for the thoughts. Bit of a puzzler, it seems!

Excellent! :)

It is. I'm perhaps conflicted on the subject of hybrids - I don't approve of deliberately breeding them but once they're in existence I find them fascinating!
    • Pertinax
      I can't remember what species of Shelducks are in the Gorilla watermoat, probably Ruddy at least but I don't remember Common Shelduck. Of course it could be a previous hybrid from the Lake area or someplace else entirely.

Like you, I don't really approve of hybrids but duck hybrids are often very attractive- like this one. Goose hybrids are often (IMO) quite ugly.

Bitterns were(are) at Blashford Lakes in Hampshire. There are at least three there currently. My best views ever, I've only seen one once previously and that was briefly flying over a reedbed in Norfolk.
    • Maguari
      I had a quick look over the most recent complete stocklists I could find and couldn't find anything other than Ruddies. This in itself may be a point in favour of Common x Ruddy as perhaps there was a wild Common Shelduck passing through!

But yes, it's hard to say without knowing when or where these were hatched.
    • IanRRobinson
      :eek: Oops! Does anyone know of any intrageneric hybrids involving shelducks? I know that other waterfowl taxa can produce some wildly unlikely pairings...
    • bongorob
      The Handbook of the Birds of the World volume 1 list the ruddy shelduck as having hybridized with other members of the genus Tadorna. Also with larger dabbling ducks (Anas) and the Egyptian goose (Alopochen aegyptiacus).

The South African shelduck has hybridized with other Tadorna and Egyptian Goose.

The Paradise Shelduck with other Tadorna.

The Australian Shelduck with Ruddy and South African Shelducks and Bar-headed Goose (Anser indicus)

The Common Shelduck has hybridized with other Tadorna, Egyptian Goose, Common Mallard and Common Eider (Somateria mollissima).

The Radjah Shelduck has hybridized with the South African and Common Shelducks.

All these hybrids were in captivity.
    • Pertinax
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bristol Zoo (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    17 Feb 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    256 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:02:06 17:13:48
    Exposure Time:
    10/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).