Join our zoo community
Najade

ID?

ID?
Najade, 6 Aug 2017
    • Chlidonias
      it looks like some kind of toadfish (Psychrolutidae).

What's the signage like at AQWA? I noticed in your photos that even the seahorses don't seem to have been adequately labelled for identification. Certainly their website is rubbish in that respect (although to be fair, most public aquariums have rubbish websites if you want to find specifics on what they hold).
    • Najade
      This particular fish was in one of the aquariums in the entrance area, which had no labels at all. Only Shipwreck Coast had "conventional" labels. The other parts all had signs like this.
      Mostly you had a bunch of pictures of some(!) of the inhabitants at the bottom and the rest was just not signed at all.
      Even the species-specific signs were just: Sea Snake, Cone Shell, Stone Fish without scientific names or anything.
    • Chlidonias
      That's so poor. I do understand that it isn't possible to have labels for every species in an aquarium because there are so many mixed tanks and so many invertebrates, and tank inhabitants get swapped around a lot, but how difficult is it to put specifics on a sign for the tanks' main inhabitants?! To me, that level of ineptitude at education is both baffling and totally unacceptable.

I had a further look around on their website. The Education page, as expected, was mostly about school visits (no other visitors need education), but on the side of that page is a link for "Creature Features" which at least has some fact-sheets for selected species.
      AQWA-The Aquarium of Western Australia | Perth Underwater Adventure ยป Education

From those I found that the seahorses there are West Australian Seahorse Hippocampus subelongatus. The sea snakes are, um, just Sea Snakes...
    • Najade
      Yeah, totally agree.

I had to ask a keeper for the sea snake species.
    • steveroberts
      Colletteichthys flavipinnis Yellowfin Toadfish?
      Colletteichthys dussumieri Flat Toadfish?
      Batrachomoeus occidentalis Western Frogfish?
      Batrachomoeus rubricephalus Pinkhead Frogfish?
      Halophryne diemensis Banded Frogfish?
      Halophryne ocellatus Ocellate Frogfish?
      Psychrolutes occidentalis Western Blobfish?

Sorry guys best I could find
      (and know its 4 years late lol)
    • DaLilFishie
      @Chlidonias looks like Batrachoididae, not Psychrolutidae. Both families are called toadfish (as well as others like Chaunacidae and some members of Tetraodontidae).
    • DaLilFishie
      Actually I take back my ID. Looks better for a jawfish species, Opistognathidae
    • Great Argus
      @DaLilFishie Possibly a Stalix species, could be Opistognathus
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    AQWA
    Uploaded By:
    Najade
    Date:
    6 Aug 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3264px
    Height:
    2448px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 4S
    Date / Time:
    2017:07:13 15:12:00
    Exposure Time:
    1/20 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.28 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).