Join our zoo community
Vision

Inca jay, Cyanocorax yncas yncas

September 2017.

Inca jay, Cyanocorax yncas yncas
Vision, 6 Jan 2019
    • AWP
      I still regret not making a species list of especially the two main neotropical enclosures of World of Birds.. I can't recall which neotropical species were kept at my visit in 2016, other than the ocellated turkey, white-tailed trogon and green aracari I photographed. I was just focussing on the birds-of-paradise and the maleos, but looking back I should have given more attention to the other species.
      Vision likes this.
    • Vision
      @AWP I'm fairly sure a few of the people who visit NYC often (@jayjds2 and @ThylacineAlive, among others) have a good idea of the neotropical species in the house, and would be able to help compile a list! Definitely some of the other highlights were bananaquit, band-tailed pigeon, Andean cock-of-the-rock, plate-billed mountain-toucan and capuchinbird.
      AWP and ThylacineAlive like this.
    • ThylacineAlive
      The zoo does not keep Green Aracari to my knowledge, but does exhibit mountain-toucan and Crimson-Rumped Toucanet which might be what you're thinking of? Unfortunately the trogon is either no longer on-exhibit or no longer present at the zoo.

Are you looking for full species lists for the main neotropical walk-in aviary or for all neotropical species in the house?

~Thylo
      AWP likes this.
    • AWP
      Sorry, I meant Emerald Toucanet! It's green and called "arassari" in Dutch, so that the reason of my mistake... As the bird I saw and photographed was clearly a Aulacorhynchus, it should have been a Crimson-Rumped Toucanet.

I think it's quite difficult to compose a species list for the situation at the end of 2016 when I visited the Bronx. Never mind, I hope to see a fair share of (rare) neotropical birds soon (Panama including the birding hotspot Camino de Oleoducto, and Walsrode) and surely will take notes then!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bronx Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Vision
    Date:
    6 Jan 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4264px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 600D
    Date / Time:
    2017:09:21 16:41:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).