Join our zoo community
zoogiraffe

Inside the new Indian Rhino House

Inside the new Indian Rhino House
zoogiraffe, 3 Jul 2010
    • MARK
      Thats a very good photo of inside the house
    • Pertinax
      I've offered a prize for the first photo of a Rhino using these indoor pools. :D I think I am still fairly safe!;)
    • MARK
      Is that rubber matting on the floor or is it just painted black?
    • Pertinax
      I can't remember.:confused: Maybe someone else will though....

It may well be matting as they are very conscious of their foot-care nowadays. In the old yards they were constantly having to treat foot problems, particularly with a previous bull 'Kumar'. They said his problems were because he was 'from the Basel stock'- I think it had more to do with him living almost permanently on hard concrete.
    • MARK
      I wonder if they will up grade the old rhino house?
    • ZooLeopard
      I am sure it is rubbber matting. I wonder when we will actually see them use that pool?
    • Pertinax
      Unless they do something about the access slope- maybe never!!!

When those two females were first imported to the UK they lived on the Cotton terraces at ZSL before moving to Whipsnade. They would swim in the deep moat around their paddock, which also had steep steps. However they were much younger (only part grown) then and less bulky.
    • MARK
      I understand Pertinax is giving away the "Gold jelly bean award" to any ZooChat member who takes a photo of one of the Indian rhino bathing in the indoor pools of the rhino house, lol
    • Pertinax
      But not for the bull 'Hugo' as we do know he uses the bath;) But come to think of it I'd even like to see a photo of him in it!

When I heard this new House was being built with heated indoor pools etc I was really looking forward to seeing the rhinos immersed in the water indoors. Its been such a huge disappointment.....:(:(
    • MARK
      Do you think they will upgrade or replace the old rhino house?, with the growing family they may need to do something
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    zoogiraffe
    Date:
    3 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    236 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.9
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix E510
    Date / Time:
    2010:05:08 13:26:32
    Exposure Time:
    10/120 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).