Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus)

Riviere Bleue national park, August 2010. This park is the last stronghold for the kagu, holding over half the remaining wild population.

kagu (Rhynochetos jubatus)
Chlidonias, 18 Aug 2010
UngulateNerd92, KevinB and Andrew_NZP like this.
    • Chlidonias
      Riviere Bleue national park, August 2010. This park is the last stronghold for the kagu, holding over half the remaining wild population.
    • Benzoo
      Great shots Chlidonias (as usual).
    • Jabiru96
      What a beaut shot!
    • Chlidonias
      Thanks. I got very few halfway decent shots of wild bird species because of light conditions, general skittish-ness, etc, but I have some better photos of captive kagu taken at the Noumea Zoo which I shall upload in due course (along with horned parakeet, Ouvea parakeet, etc)
    • Hix
      For a wild bird on the ground in the forest, that's a ripper shot (you lucky sod)!

Very jealous!!!
    • Pygathrix
      What Hix said. Chlidonias you are too modest this is a great shot of a very rare bird. If you go to this reserve how easy is it to see the kagus, did you have to camp out for hours or are they relatively used to people?
    • Chlidonias
      the kagu are actually fairly easy to find. There was a reasonably affable one that frequented the camping area in the late afternoon for half an hour or so on each of the days I was there. The one in this photo was a random find in the forest about half an hour's walk from the camping area.

Tourists are taken into the main part of the park by shuttle (presumably to avoid people tearing the place up with their private cars) and the drivers know where various kagu hold territories and can entice them out simply by calling "kagu kagu" and scratching up the leaves by the roadside. Not many people actually stay in the park - most are just day-trippers from Noumea - so that is how those visitors normally see the kagu. The park itself is easy to access, especially if you have a car (its only about 45 minutes drive from Noumea). If you're on the bus like me, then you need to get off on the highway, walk 2.5km to the HQ then another 10km to the point where the shuttle is, then that takes you the next 10km to the forest.

The other bird I particularly wanted to see at Riviere Bleue was the crow honeyeater, a massive black honeyeater that is more endangered than the kagu. I did see four individuals which I was extremely pleased about, but they are so shy that photos were out of the question. I like taking photos of the wildlife I see but its not really too important to me if I don't get brilliant shots, because I rather prefer watching them doing their thing than experiencing them only through a camera lens.
    • Sun Wukong
      Favourite pic in the Gallery of my favourite bird.

Thank you for sharing it.
    • gentle lemur
      Excellent
      I'm green with jealousy
      :)

Alan
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New Caledonia - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    18 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    183.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1064px
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX *ist DL
    Date / Time:
    2010:08:11 08:03:11
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    0 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).