Join our zoo community
Maguari

Kea Underfoot Access Tunnel at De Paay, 02/06/12

An odd aviary is joined to a more conventional set-up in the parrot block by a strange passage under the feet of visitors.

Kea Underfoot Access Tunnel at De Paay, 02/06/12
Maguari, 6 Jun 2012
    • Maguari
      An odd aviary is joined to a more conventional set-up in the parrot block by a strange passage under the feet of visitors.
    • lintworm
      The kea doesn't mind, he likes shoes very much :p
    • Maguari
      Yes, we noticed that! :D
    • ralph
      This right here is one of the most awesome things I have ever seen in a zoo.
      So simple, yet nowhere else have I seen this.
    • DavidBrown
      How does this exhibit work? Does the kea just waddle through the tunnel between the outside cage and the inside quarters as it likes?

Does it often stay in the tunnel and nibble at the shoes of unsuspecting visitors crossing over the passage way?
    • Maguari
      Seemingly so - the aviary at the left of this photo is just in a conventional row of small aviaries and the one at the right is a standalone one - the bird had free access when we were there.

Certainly seemed popular with it when we were there!
    • Chlidonias
      all kea love shoes! In walk-through kea aviaries (should you ever happen to be in one) a kea would be happy to sit there all day dismantling your shoes while you are wearing them.

I imagine the tunnel would be awesome for them too. They love exploring and getting into awkward places. The more variety in their cages the better.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uilen- en Dierenpark "de Paay"
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    6 Jun 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    451.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2012:06:02 08:57:15
    Exposure Time:
    10/4500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).