Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Kermode Bear (the only captive specimen on the planet)

July 20th, 2016.

Kermode Bear (the only captive specimen on the planet)
    • snowleopard
      July 20th, 2016.
    • Arizona Docent
      Beautiful - nice that it is in a zoo near its home range.
    • Astrobird
      Does this zoo actively try to breed from their animals? I notice they have other black bears, is there any intention of breeding to hopefully increase the number of these white Kermode bears?
    • snowleopard
      The zoo's trio of American Black Bears and two Grizzly Bears were all orphaned cubs and BC Wildlife Park acts as a wildlife sanctuary and advertises that fact to all visitors. Clover the Kermode Bear was also an orphaned cub and he was captured and released before authorities deemed him to be too reliant on human food sources. He was held at the park in a small enclosure for 3 years until $800,000 was raised and the 2.7 acre habitat was constructed and opened in 2015.

I read one article stating that Clover did not get along with the other bears and thus would remain solitary, but in a 2015 article (see the link below) it is mentioned that eventually he would be joined in his exhibit by the three other black bears. It would actually make sense for the four bears to eventually be combined together in the exhibit in the photo, with the grizzlies then moving into what currently holds the American Black Bears. The existing grizzly enclosure is outdated and could then be knocked down and the land used for something else. That would also provide the zoo the opportunity to have all of its bears in fairly modern, spacious exhibits in the same part of the zoo. One thing that the zoo has not done is breed its bears and that does not seem to be an option for Clover.

Fate of Clover the ?spirit bear? from B.C. draws international interest - The Globe and Mail
    • Arizona Docent
      That article has the expected animal rights exaggerations. The opponent of having him in the park says he is "being exploited for profit." Really? A non profit rescue sanctuary? Who is getting rich off this animal?
    • Hipporex
      Huh, why do I feel like I've seen this picture somewhere before? ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    BC Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    21 Jul 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: