Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Kumbuka

Gorilla Island, Paignton, 28th March 2013. Is he leaving for London soon?

Kumbuka
gentle lemur, 31 Mar 2013
felis silvestris likes this.
    • gentle lemur
      Gorilla Island, Paignton, 28th March 2013.
      Is he leaving for London soon?
    • Gigit
      So they say.

Just having another look at the photo. He should have been called 'Adonis' - he must be the most handsome gorilla around!
    • wenxue
      He really does have a very distinctive face. Hope we do get him at London soon. The girls have been on their own for too long now.
    • Pertinax
      Its nine months now. Do you know why?:confused:
    • wenxue
      No idea at all myself - I first heard they were going to move him in September last year (they wanted to do it after the school holidays as the Gorilla enclosure might have to be shut for a while), then I heard it was just a case of finalising paperwork and would be just a few weeks more. I would guess they might be waiting for better weather as it might be more difficult doing a gorilla introduction when they are all cooped up inside.

I have no inside info though - this is just things I have overheard, rumours etc. Would be nice to know if there is a real problem though with the move or if they are just waiting for the right time.

I really have got a soft spot for the gorillas at London Zoo and would really like them to have a happy, stable, normal family life. They put up with so much. I spend half my time when watching them saying "ape not monkey, ape not monkey" to people and the other half stopping people roaring or beating their chests at them. About 20 schoolkids starting singing a hymn very loudly in unison when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Some animals like a lot of attention - I don't think the gorillas do. They always look uncomfortable and insecure to me.
    • Pertinax
      Very wise sentiments. I don't think you are alone in them either.

I also find it rather ironic how when Yeboah died, one of the reasons given for getting the new male Kesho a.s.a.p was 'to prevent the breakdown of the female group' which seemed such an important factor then, but hasn't been mentioned this time around.

Regarding this protracted move, several reasons have been suggested but I won't repeat them here as none have been substantiated. Sufficient to say despite the seeming repeated delays, his move can't be far off now if they want a proper 'group' display for the summer.
    • Gigit
      Surely it can't be long now. I've seen the moving crate in the showden a couple of times in the past, so training has been going on.

His fans here will be sorry to lose him but glad that he'll be in a social group at last. He reacts to people and so does get taunted by groups of schoolchildren. I'm sorry to read that that will continue in London. But hopefully he'll be paying more attention to his females!
    • Pertinax
      Like many indoor viewing areas for Gorillas, the passageway in front of their 'dayroom' does get very noisy and schoolchildren seem among the worst offenders. The original design allowed access right up to the glass windows but I think a stand-off barrier has been erected more recently along all the glass windows, to prevent people tapping on the glass etc. Despite the notices asking for quiet and no flash cameras, its impossible to keep the area as quiet as would be ideal, just because of the volume of 'traffic' it experiences. Outdoors of course the Gorillas can get much further away from the public- though they use that a lot less of course.:rolleyes:

Its interesting how some zoos in Europe with that type of viewing are able to allow access right up to the glass successfully without such problems- I noticed at Arnhem Zoo how the crowds and children in particular were better far behaved in this sort of situation than their UK contemporaries- what does that say about us?:(
    • Gigit
      From my observations at Paignton, I'd say it's due to the lack of supervision of teenagers trying to impress each other rather than be educated and, dare I add, a lack of discipline. I don't know if this is just a British thing but it's shaming if it is.

When Kumbuka isn't outside, he's kept in his quarters downstairs with no public access. He hasn't been in a showden with noisy visitors for quite some time. In fact, the last time I saw him inside he got very agitated and had to be moved out.
    • Pertinax
      Obviously its not confined to the UK but I think it is worse here.

Kumbuka is likely to be quite 'feisty' when first confronted with the viewing arrangements at London! They may need to do limited/controlled access/viewing when he is first put on show- but they do get used to things after a while.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Paignton Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    31 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    100.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    566px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300S
    Date / Time:
    2013:03:28 10:43:54
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    500 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).