Join our zoo community
PAT

Kyabram Fauna Park Wombat Exhibit

This is the Kyabram Fauna Parks outdoor wombat yard and is the only one I've ever seen with grass in it. There are two identicle exhibits next to each other for Forest Wombats.

Kyabram Fauna Park Wombat Exhibit
PAT, 29 Dec 2008
    • PAT
      This is the Kyabram Fauna Parks outdoor wombat yard and is the only one I\'ve ever seen with grass in it. There are two identicle exhibits next to each other for Forest Wombats.
    • mstickmanp
      Doesn't Australia Zoo's wombat exhibit have grass in it?

BTW, this exhibit looks great!
    • CGSwans
      This exhibit is clearly modelled at least partly on Australia Zoo's, which are by far the best wombat exhibits I've ever seen.
    • Hix
      I would disagree with that, as I've seen several in fauna parks that look similar. They've just put a fence around a bit of paddock and put wombats inside. Very basic. The grass will probably disappear over time.

And, like most exhibits like this, it's not great for wombats as it forces them to dig unnatural burrows.
    • PAT
      I don't think they are based on Australia Zoos and Hix's description is pretty good but they've been here for a bit over ten years and if the grass hasn't already disappeared I don't think it will anytime soon.

At least it's better then exhibits that they can't dig in. *cough* Melbourne *cough*
    • Hix
      Not necessarily. A very heavy downpour would flood this burrow, and would loosen the ground forming the top of the burrow which could collapse and suffocate the wombats.

An enclosure that doesn't let wombats dig obviously doesn't have that risk.

Something even more dangerous is supplying the wombats with a large/deep sandpit - the loose sand doesn't even need rain to cause it to collapse.

In the wild common Wombats dig burrows into the sides of hills or embankments, and the burrow is generally horizontal. I don't know why zoos don't build enclosures that take this into account - it seems that an area of level ground with a fence around it is sufficient.
    • Jesse
      in the years i've visited the park not once have i ever seen the burrow collapse. it is reinforced with metal.
    • Hix
      Well, obviously that is not a burrow dug by the wombats. Supplying the animal with a pre-made burrow of metal or pipe is a wise practice, although the wombats may still dig their own burrows (especially if they feel the supplied 'burrow' is lacking).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kyabram Fauna Park
    Uploaded By:
    PAT
    Date:
    29 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    308.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    PENTAX Corporation
    Model:
    PENTAX Optio E40
    Date / Time:
    2008:06:01 07:54:42
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).