Join our zoo community
willtheman45

Lion Country

Waterfall in the enclosure-no lions in there today but an impressive structure

Lion Country
willtheman45, 28 Dec 2010
    • willtheman45
      Waterfall in the enclosure-no lions in there today but an impressive structure
    • foz
      This looks quite unecessary and costly. It really does bug me when zoo's add waterfalls when there really does not need to be. It might be okay for a water loving species and when its only found now and again, but there seems to be at least one in every zoo
    • adrian1963
      As can be seen in the picture they (waterfalls) do have there advantages sometimes if you look at the water just below the waterfall it's not frozen therefore if the lions require water then they have it.
      By the way I also am fed up with Waterfalls in unrelated areas of the zoo
    • willtheman45
      The lake is used to separate the lion prides so the water is used for this I think.
      They swap the lions around (apparently) and they can explore this waterfall/the surrounding area so it's quite interesting for the lions plus as Adrian pointed there's a drinking area for lions.

But yes it probably is mainly cosmetic but it does fit in with the exhibit design quite well and isn't as bad as some zoos are at just 'plonking' waterfalls in (Fifa animal parks otter enclosure picture springs to mind)
    • SMR
      That's one area where it definitely fails.
    • willtheman45
      I don't know-it's not the prettiest of structures but it fits in with the enclosure surprisingly well. Lion country is a really good set of enclosures-all very spacious and I don't really find anything wrong with this waterfall.
    • foz
      Frankly this looks plonked :( . Waterfalls may provide some stimulation at first but the novelty wears off for the inhabitants of the exhibits. And im quite sure keepers would make sure there is drinking water available without the use of this waterfall.
    • adrian1963
      I was not saying that they (keepers) did not supply water just making a point on a freezing day that the water around the base of the waterfall was unfrozen and there for the lions if needed
    • willtheman45
      I think we may have to agree to disagree- I do like it and think it fits in with the exhibit. Maybe if you saw the whole of this enclosure it would help?
      The waterfall isn't actually on too often so its more of a rockface(for climbing) -it's not perfect but not up to Colchesters fake rock standards.
    • SMR
      I know it's bigger than it looks in this photograph, but the whole thing reminded me of Stapeley's bidet, toilet and wash-hand basen waterfall in its incongruity and uniformity.

Lions will sit on top of anything though, even some of Colchester's mock-rock. ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Yorkshire Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    willtheman45
    Date:
    28 Dec 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    203.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Samsung Techwin
    Model:
    VLUU L110, M110 / Samsung L110, M110
    Date / Time:
    2018:12:20 15:42:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/180 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).