Join our zoo community
Jana

Lion exhibit @ Zoo Zlin-Lesna

African lion enclosure at zoo Zlin-Lesna, with a small group of elderly generic lions. taken May 2008.

Lion exhibit @ Zoo Zlin-Lesna
Jana, 30 May 2008
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Jana
      African lion enclosure at zoo Zlin-Lesna, with a small group of elderly generic lions. taken May 2008.
    • Orycteropus
      This is a double water-moated enclosure?? Can I see right, this is a glass panel for the visitors on the background inside the artificial rock?
    • Jana
      No and no. The first water surface is a creek that runs through the zoo, the second one is a water moat. There is no visitor area behind the artificial rock, there are night dens for the lions.
    • docend24
      So no barrier except the water, am I right?
    • Jana
      There are electric fences on the bank of course (the same system as the lion island in Plzen). Lions are excellent swimmers, I would never pass a gate of a zoo, that would have only water moats between me and the lions. :)
    • zooman
      Hi Jana,

Thank you for pointing this enclosure out, fascinating that there has obviously not been a problem!
    • reduakari
      Yet.......
    • zooman
      I have read and heard stories of the significant height and length animals can jump in moments of stress and or under threat and yes I would assume its a matter of when!

However in saying all of that evidence would suggest that the lions both here and at Plzen are not escaping! Territory abundance and abundance of food available is keeping them in not the barrier??
    • PAT
      Most moated exhibits that I've seen for lions have a low electric fence along the inside of the moat. This probably prevents the lions from getting a run up and jumping to their maximum potential.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zlín Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Jana
    Date:
    30 May 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count: