Join our zoo community
GillP

Lisa the leopard and enclosure - 8 April 2009

I'm all "zooed out" this week with Chester on Monday, Linton on Wednesday and Colchester yesterday. It's very hard to keep a perspective when comparing large zoos to much much smaller ones. Quite obviously, a small family zoo like Linton doesn't have the cash or the space for state of the art enclosures but the big cat areas seem so small and grotty (with the exception of the newer lion enclosure). Notices state that Lisa is here temporarily while her old enclosure is updated - but no signs of that happening yet (credit crunch ?). In fact, this area looks better than the old one but I came away feeling very sad (again) as I just don't know, in some respects, what to make of Linton really. In particular, why do they have the solitary leopard and black panther ? ...... are they intended to be part of a breeding programme (as the lions and tigers are), or were they rescue animals ? There's no info about this on the website or at the zoo itself.

Lisa the leopard and enclosure - 8 April 2009
GillP, 10 Apr 2009
    • GillP
      I'm all zooed out this week with Chester on Monday, Linton on Wednesday and Colchester yesterday.

It\'s very hard to keep a perspective when comparing large zoos to much much smaller ones. Quite obviously, a small family zoo like Linton doesn't have the cash or the space for state of the art enclosures but the big cat areas seem so small and grotty (with the exception of the newer lion enclosure).

Notices state that Lisa is here temporarily while her old enclosure is updated - but no signs of that happening yet (credit crunch ?). In fact, this area looks better than the old one but I came away feeling very sad (again) as I just don\'t know, in some respects, what to make of Linton really. In particular, why do they have the solitary leopard and black panther ? ...... are they intended to be part of a breeding programme (as the lions and tigers are), or were they rescue animals ? There\'s no info about this on the website or at the zoo itself.
    • Mike11
      Lisa is the last of the Leopard breeding programme, she is 16 so she is an old girl.Lisa is a lovely leopard and always comes up to say hello when i visit her.They are going to build a new enclosure about 3 times bigger than the new one but they are waiting for the money i think.
      Zoyza the Black Leopard arrived at the zoo about 1 1/2 ago and is going to paired up with another female in the near future.
      Linton is always building new enclosures - Rare Lemur Breeding Centre,Lion Enclosure and the Tiger Enclosure which is good too.
      Rizi and Karla's (lions) Enclosure is also going to be renovated. Its a case of trying to do what next with the funds they have but i know that they have lots of plans
      They house a brilliant collection of big cat individuals who all love being in the zoo. :)
      Hope this helps you.
      Regards
    • GillP
      Thanks for replying Riziki. It is indeed reassuring to read that the older lion enclosure is on the list for a renovation, and also about Lisa's proposed new enclosure. I just hope they come to fruition in the near future and are realisable (..... we can all have pipe dreams ...).

Obviously, affordability is always at the bottom of these things (probably never more so than at the moment) but I do also feel that it can be a bit of a viscious circle as some visitors will be put off returning to a zoo where they perceive that animals might be unhappy (due to unsuitable accommodation) or where enclosures look shabby ..... thus the profits which would have gone towards new projects aren't forthcoming.

I've been to Linton several times as it's my nearest zoo (apart from Shepreth) yet I'm afraid that I always tend to go with a "let's go and see what's been improved" attitude, and, since the new lion & lemur enclosures were built, I can't think of any other improvements. It feels, at the moment, to be honest, as if the zoo is stagnating (well, at least that is my perception).

I've said before that Linton could make a number of comparatively small and easy improvements quite quickly which would add to the visitor's enjoyment and give the impression that improvement is an ongoing concern. Lots more animal information on site for a start, but also, at least to my untrained amateur eye, there would appear to be plenty of space to extend a couple of the older lemur cages which seem incredibly small and low (there is one almost opposite the older lion area, and another round the back of the pond).

Do you have any more info about breeding plans for Zoyza ?
    • Mike11
      Linton is definately better then it ever was before and i agree the Crowned Lemur enclosure by Riz's Enclosure could do with being extended. Im not sure what the plans are with Zoyza but i know they want to pair him up in the future.He is an amazing animal but very aggresive so pairing may be tricky. The renovations im pretty sure will all happen at some point.
      Linton too is my nearest zoo (apart from shepreth)
      And its not the biggest and its not the best but they look after animals the best they can and i know how passionate the owners and keepers are about the zoo :)
      Theyve got some awesome lions though! They all recognise me as ive known them since they where cubs. Amazing individuals they all are. :)
    • BearCat
      Has Linton built a new tiger enclosure?:confused:
    • Mike11
      It is resonably new compared to the others, being built in the 1990's and being referbished for Amurs in 2002.
      No but considering it compared to the other enclosure it is a rather good enclosure and one of the best cat enclosures in the zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Linton Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    GillP
    Date:
    10 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: