Lively Common Hippos at Whipsnade 08/05/10

[i]Hippopotamus amphibius[/i]

Lively Common Hippos at Whipsnade 08/05/10
Maguari, 9 May 2010
JigerofLemuria likes this.
    • Maguari
      Hippopotamus amphibius
    • Pertinax
      I've never seen two together in the indoor pool, but this is the first time they've had just a 'two females together' combination, since the old male Ben died.

I think I've only seen a common hippo in this indoor display area once.
    • ZooLeopard
      I saw two together in August of last year. When did ben die? I thought it was the adult female and her (big) daughter.
    • Maguari
    • ZooLeopard
      Thanks Maguari.
    • Pertinax
      Yes, Maguari's info is correct. What I meant was that the period since Ben died is the first time they've had two females living together. Previously it was Ben & Nigna together outside or apart in the indoor areas(one of them at least would be in the old house at the back) That's why I've never seen two together in this indoor pool before.

BTW the first person who can post a shot of the G.I. Rhinos bathing in the indoor moat of their House will be in line for a major prize....;)
    • Maguari
      We did make a point of looking but no joy I'm afraid! :D
    • Bele
      It was nice to be able to compare Common and Pygmy Hippos in adjoining pools in the house at Whipsnade . I think Whipsnade is the only UK collection with both .
    • Pertinax
      Definately is. Though the Pygmies seem to 'come and go' rather, at least recently.
    • Zambar
      How do the pygmies access their paddock? From what I saw it looks like they can't do it without crossing the visitor path.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: