snowleopard

Macaws + Parrots

April 2009.

Macaws + Parrots
snowleopard, 27 Apr 2009
    • snowleopard
      April 2009.
    • zoofari
      Are they these birds in these cages for a very short time I hope.No enrichment and square perches are a recipe for severe problems in parrots.
    • snowleopard
      There was a rainbow lorikeet with a severe loss of feathers, but all of the other birds appeared to be in good condition. I think that these cages are shocking to show to the public, but the zoo is currently constructing a larger set of aviaries. I truly hope that the birds aren't kept permanently in such tiny cages.
    • Maguari
      Indeed. This does not give a good impression. There's only one perch in those cages - it's only missing the little leg chains to be as bad the Victorian ZSL Parrot Walk. Still, hopefully the birds will be in the new aviaries soon.
    • James27
      Ew, another exhibit I can't defend :p
    • Hix
      African Greys and Double-yellowhead Amazons - extremely intelligent parots that require plenty of stimulation/enrichment. Even an hour in those bare cages would be cruel. For a zoo to be doing this is just unconscionable. To be displaying these cages in a public area is giving the visitors the wrong message about this species requirements. Bad education.
      Ebirah766 likes this.
    • zoofari
      Totally agree,the amount of stimulus these birds require is hard work.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is just disgusting. Even if it was an off-exhibit holding cage it would be indefensible.
    • Jabiru96
      Not good at all this.......
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cougar Mountain Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    27 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: