Join our zoo community
leclub

Manatee House Underwater-Viewing

The Manatee House contains 3 amazonian manatees several species of birds, butterflies and fish leaf-cutter ants white faced sakis and pygmy marmosets

Manatee House Underwater-Viewing
leclub, 2 Aug 2011
    • leclub
      The Manatee House contains
      3 caribbean manatees
      several species of birds, butterflies and fish
      leaf-cutter ants
      white faced sakis
      and pygmy marmosets
    • Saro
      They are not Amazonian Manatees !!! They are Caribbean.
    • kiang
      What a fantastic looking exhibit, huge improvement.
    • leclub
      Thank you Saro
      I thought they were amazonian because there were many signs that were about the Amazonas

It is indeed fantastic!
    • Chlidonias
      this does look fantastic. It looks like there is a lot of room for the manatees to actually swim around.
    • Maguari
      This is a world apart from the old exhibit - although their breeding record in that exhibit was very good, it was not big at all and rather dark.

Thanks for posting these shots of the new manatee and dolphin exhibits, leclub - they really do look a massive improvement.
    • Saro
      @Tarsius : I hope you forgive me for saying this, but with your posts it is sometimes difficult to tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Assuming you are not, in this case at least, yes you are right, both species - not subspecies-, the Amazonian manatee (Trichechus inunguis) and the West Indian manatee (Trichechus manatus) are relatively easy to tell apart, although maybe not as easy as African and Asian elephants to everyone. Amazonian manatees are smaller and darker, they also often have white patches. As far as I know, Amazonian manatees are not kept anywhere outside of South America (maybe not even outside of Brazil).

Hopefully Nürnberg can continue its long tradition of keeping and breeding their manatees successfully, now that they have this very nice new home :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tiergarten Nürnberg
    Uploaded By:
    leclub
    Date:
    2 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    155.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-H3
    Date / Time:
    2011:08:01 10:03:48
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    6.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).