Join our zoo community
Animal

Manatee-underwater-view at Nürnberg

Underwater-view for the Antillean manatees at Nürnberg.

Manatee-underwater-view at Nürnberg
Animal, 14 Aug 2011
    • Animal
      Underwater-view for the Antillean manatees at Nürnberg.
    • PeGe
      Despite the problem with "wrong species for the amazon",
      i just love this impressive view there. Pink dolphins swimming there would be better, of course,... (And common porpoises instead of the bottlenose dolphins);-p
      I also like to see the animals diving. The size of the adult female is far more impressive to see than in their pond they roamed for decades,..
      But without that former exhibit, the population in europe would be far smaller,...
    • Cat-Man
      I bet the animals that were in the old pool feel like they're in heaven!
    • zoomaniac
      @Cat-Man: From the "keeping"-side, I'm absolutely agree with you. On the other hand I ask myself, if those critters probably "need" narrow/small exhibits/conditions for breeding (Breeding success was much better in the old "hell" as it was now). Also IT SEEMS TO ME (= not proven), that other zoos with small or smaller exhibits like Beauval register more births then those with bigger enclosures such as Arnhem (maybe with the exception of TP Berlin).
    • Bib Fortuna
      The successful breeding of animals in the zoo has not inevitably something to do with the quality or size of their exhibt.:)Bears have bred in the past very successful and regular in the old bear castles, grottos and bear pits...to name just one example.
    • zoomaniac
      Did I use the term "inevitably"?;)

I just wonder why IT SEEMS (according to the examples I've listed) that Manatees breed better in small exhibits. I did not say it's a fact.
    • Nanook
      In my experience some animals, species, will indeed breed in almost whatever enclosure is provided, yet others are most definately affected by the quality of their enclosure, and there are many aspects to this.
      I can`t speak of Manatees in particular, I am just talking generally.
    • Bib Fortuna
      Manatees don't care about the size of their pools-they breed in large, small, and even very tiny pool....
    • zooman
      What can't be seen in this picture is the circle of canals that feed into this viewing area. The idea that the manatees can escape the view of other manatees is a great feature of this exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tiergarten Nürnberg
    Uploaded By:
    Animal
    Date:
    14 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    316.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    927px
    Height:
    616px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).