circa 2000?

Masterplan
okapikpr, 1 May 2009
    • okapikpr
      circa 2000?
    • Ituri
      Bravo. Nice Find. Thanks.
    • Arizona Docent
      That is really cool. I knew lions and crocodiles were in the plans, but I had no idea about baboons and black rhino. Also did not know about a new (and desperately needed) serval habitat. I also wonder what will be in the nocturnal small animal building?
    • Otter Lord
      The meerkats, wild dogs, and giraffe are all here already aren't they? I went here in 2004 I think, its an excellent small zoo.
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes, but the meerkats are not in the new (future) exhibit shown on the plan. They are in the row of small cages for small African animals - cages that are way too small. After the very good giraffe exhibit, which opened several years ago, it seems their progress has come to a complete halt.
    • Otter Lord
      Thanks for the reply, this is definitely a great small zoo. Do you know when some of the new exhibits may be completed?
    • snowleopard
      Has there been any new exhibits lately besides the jaguar enclosure?
    • Arizona Docent
      No - as I said earlier - they seem to have come to an almost complete halt. The jaguar exhibit was an unexpected and unplanned surprise, which came about (I think) because they recently hired a new director who is either the jaguar SSP coordinator or studbook keeper (I forget which - maybe both).

I would really love to see them demolish the row of small mammal cages and put those animals in exhibits that meet the high standards of some of their other exhibits. The small mammal cages are decently landscaped, just too small. Still it is quite a treat for a cat lover like me to see sand cats and arabian wildcats next to each other (not to mention all the other cats around the zoo - plus now jaguar).
    • DavidBrown
      As of January 2013 much of this has been realized. The children's area now has a state-of-the-art play area called "Gecko Gulch" and an interpretive building with an "Ant Lab" with a live ant colony and a large exhibit hall with fossils, interactive displays on desert climate, fossils, etc.

The African savanna area now has a large savanna exhibit for reticulated giraffes, greater kudu, and ostriches. There is a sign announcing the future lion exhibit and a pride of lion statues - no date announced yet. There is no indication if black rhino, baboons, and/or crocodile will be part of the lion complex, future developments, or are no longer planned. There is a new meerkat exhibit.

There is no sign of the Australian animal area yet. There is now a large peninsular pronghorn exhibit next to the bighorn sheep in the area outlined as future Australia development, so perhaps their plan has changed.
    • snowleopard
      I'm a huge fan of The Living Desert Zoo and I think that it is a strong contender for my 3rd favourite zoo in the state of California. Gecko Gulch and the Discovery Center (with adjoining Ant Lab) are especially great for families, and since my visit I think that the two main additions are Greater Kudu to the African Savanna (3.0) and a new Meerkat Exhibit. David, do you have any photos of the Meerkat enclosure?

Here is an excerpt from my 2011 review:

2002 – Wildlife Hospital & Conservation Center
      2002- Giraffe/Ostrich exhibit (one of the best around)
      2003- Gecko Gulch children’s play park and picnic area
      2005 – Butterfly Pavilion (hummingbirds were added later)
      2007 – Amphibians: Frogs on the Edge exhibit in Eagle Canyon building
      2008 – Administration building (off-exhibit)
      2009 – Carousel Ride
      2010 – Peninsular Pronghorn exhibit
      2010 – Discovery Center building (separate Ant Lab room was added in early 2011)
      2011 – Jaguar exhibit & revamp of Butterfly Pavilion
      Future exhibit – Lion Ridge (still awaiting funding)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    The Living Desert Zoo and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    1 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    217.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1204px
    Make:
    HP
    Model:
    HP psc1400
    Date / Time:
    2009:04:30 16:02: 6

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).